Foreign language learning is experiential. It ferries learners on a big bus ride where they may ‘see’ more along the way rather than what they benefit upon reaching their destination. Teachers should see it as pragmatic, valuing the content of their course- seeking and reflecting on why they need to learn the language and what they need to learn in the language. My experience for five years on different classroom settings and different cognitive levels of learners gave me the nudge to go FUNCTIONAL. I always tell my students the old adage of linguists, ‘the language you use is the language you know’..For what better way can we really assess the competence of our learners if they cannot use it outside the four corners of their ‘warm’ yet predictable classroom. I put a challenge more on developing students’ lingual ability. As I entered Graduate School (as a student in Language Teaching), my practice and beliefs were strengthened. I was no adherent of the Grammatical approach, not that ...
What Became of the Ph.D.? In March 2014, I wrote a blog post I called “Ph.D. Calling.” I ended it with a question: I ask now not how one becomes a Ph.D., but what is to become one? At that time, I did not know how literally life would ask me to answer it. Not long afterward, I left my full-time position as Associate Professor at Ateneo de Davao University. I had already found my place there. I was teaching in the Language Department and the Graduate School, handling courses in language learning theories, research, discourse analysis, and Japanese. I had also begun mentoring doctoral students who were wrestling with their own dissertations. After years of studying, teaching, and trying to prove that I deserved a place in academe, I had finally reached a position that looked secure. Then I left. It was not because I had stopped loving the university. Nor was it because another academic opportunity was waiting for me somewhere else. I left because my youngest son had chosen a differ...
One last Sniff in for GOOD-BYE Bows were courtesy done repeatedly Not to end but to pause for awhile Waiting for the next likeable tune to play When we may dance … and put on an act again We sometimes dizzied ourselves from a twirl Then pause to come back empty Faces paled by the sickening motion Breathing stopped … but still unmindful of its caution Many times you glided on a Mazurka Lively hopping from one partner to another Oh how I could see the glow in you But when you reached me…you only said “I’m tired, let’s sit” When our favorite tune was played I was hoping you’d grab me to the center But you seemed to forget that it was our music The thing we used to enjoy most Many times you fancied on looking how good you are in the mirror I told you never mind for you always DO But you seemed to have not LISTENED For my words never mean anything to you When the ball was nowhere to go but to end At 12 midnight I decided When everything in me was exasperated Not my body but my Heart One las...
Comments