LEARNING

THE REAL ESSENCE OF LEARNING

On the last meeting in our Philosophy of Man class, my first day of pondering began. I never thought that at the very last hour the ultimate LEARNING would come. It was so strong that it still remained resounding in my heart up to now.

My usual idea of "just-read-and-you'll-never-fail-the-course" attitude paved the way for me to rummage on books at the Ateneo library. The question of "Why Philosophy?" was more of a question to be answered rather than a topic to be discussed. "Why do I need to take this course when I had it in College before?", was a reluctance I have to abide.

Days passed and our supposed "journey" has to conclude. Since I swam over the vast ocean of PHILOSOPHY and "learned" about great philosophers, their precise philosophies, I presumed it was adequate enough to close the books. Our teacher then asked, "Who am I?" Everyone was quiet. After that, she associated this question with how a group of students had asked her a dubious yet profound question, "Ma'am, why do you teach?" Quite vague, very generic, I thought so but it was an apt, rephraseable substitute for the former query. Yes, the very question of "Why do we do such acts? such CHOICES?"... "Why do I spend much time finishing this Doctorate course?... Suddenly, flashes of scenarios came upon me... "Yes", I said. I need to do all of these for I am a single father hoping to send my two sons to College. I need to give them what they ought to have - a good LIFE. My answers, my reasons gave me the answers to the very question of "Who am I?" It gave me my SELF-WORTH. It made me realize the true essence of MAN by putting it to a personal level - the reason for everyone's existence. We all have personal realizations to ruminate on which is unique.

Sometimes big questions carry with it small reasons. Learning doesn't come from reading but from reflecting and putting one self into the ISSUE - the real picture which answers the very big ones!


" Being (Who am I?) and Doing (What, Why, How do I do?) make us WHOLE"
-Sr. Maria Corazon V. Agda, RVM

Comments

RENJACK said…
Learning doesn't come from reading but from reflecting and putting one self into the ISSUE..

this line is EPIC!.. wow. I just learned something today.

very critical.
aZei said…
"Learning doesn't come from reading but from reflecting and putting one self into the ISSUE"

i agree with these lines sir, i began to love writing thanks to you sir.

Popular posts from this blog

On Teaching Japanese Language

Ph.D. Calling