On Dance

When I Dance...

As I stretch a bundle of muscle in my body, I rejoice on how wondrous work of ART I could make. Every twists, every turns and bends could come in precision...A breathing, that is sometimes short, lifts me up as I heave upon an opium of JOY to sustain... a momentary delusion that I can be what I want to be. There is this sudden stupor that I forget the ‘outside world and the ‘worries’ it brings and focus only in the NOW, the physical pain .
There is an unequal joy of convincing myself that I have gotten close to what is being asked ..Enduring, panting, sweating, arms,legs and bodies battling to cross in delirium yet creating not chaos but harmony. What’s next.??..I panic..”Better not think”, I sometimes tell myself. Let the moment decide. So I just glide in the euphoric beat of the music, which sometimes only my heart could hear... The muscle now repays the trust. Yes. “The demands of DANCE is no far greater than the demands of LIFE”,

On Dance

Dance class for me is a day-ender, a therapeutic journey to free myself from a demanding episode. Entering the studio brings chills but the rewards await me like a chocolate mousse treat after. It is my pat on the back, a proof of how I love myself, my physical being. Considering my age, I never worry. Like Agnes* would say, when I returned past the practicable age for learning , “you will eventually find your niche”..not knowing that I have built more than what was expected- a world. I began to reconnect myself making dance a necessity.
Modern dance is a no non-sense discipline like I never thought it was. Being free and untraditional the demands are greater than the classical. All I knew of it before was some thwarted movement captured on the pictures of Martha Graham, her works. I was lucky enough to have been under the tutelage of the world-renowned gifted artist, Agnes Locsin. I learned a lot of techniques and discipline not only in dance but also in composition. There was more than just marveling at her compositions, or lucky enough, doing it. Her instructions sometimes or most of the time, play on analogy “ do it like...” words so exacting that a mere mental picture of it tells you what you should do, how it should look like.
Dance grows. It has a dynamic attitude. The NOW may not be the feeling that transcended the feeling of BEFORE. Even in doing it prior to the ‘real thing’. There is always more to give and every after doing a short class combination or exercise, the feeing of I-should-have-done-better sends a tinge of dissatisfaction. Dance is a discovery of the true nature of what and how it is. It is personal, be it for the performer or the spectator. Realization sometimes simmer from a premature notion.. But a dancer metamorphose in every performance. Real thing grows...if one gets the real picture.

Comments

mitch said…
You're not just a mere Dance Enthusiast but you have made it as one of your devotions in life...for this talent really generated from your soul...This person is one of the people i admired most...oh God how i thank for knowing this talented, fearless yet kind-hearted man...Keep the fire burning Sir Arnel..

Popular posts from this blog

On Teaching Japanese Language

LEARNING

Ph.D. Calling